For the next week, Campbell UMC will be gathering supplies to put together Emergency Clean-up Buckets and Personal Hygiene Packs. These kits will be gathered together during Annual Conference, June 3-6, and used in response to the Joplin tornado. You may bring items to the church at any time during the week, and leave them in the donation bins in Fellowship Hall. The items included in the kits are listed below.
We will be sharing a special offering this Sunday morning, as well. You may make a donation through the church, and 100% of it will be included in relief efforts, thanks to the power of the United Methodist connection at work.
Here is a link – http://www.moumethodist.org/enewsletterarchives/detail/1322 – to a special message from the Conference Office regarding this disaster. In this message, “individuals and volunteer teams are urged not to self deploy at this time.” I am certain that a group from Campbell will head to Joplin in the near future, but we need to stay out of the way of the professionals who are there working now.
In the meantime, I know that we will be in prayer for our neighbors in Joplin as they struggle through these next very difficult days.
Shalom, Andy B.
EMERGENCY CLEAN-UP BUCKET – VALUE $56.00
$56 value of Items listed below (Shipping—$3/kit)
– 1 five-gallon bucket with re-sealable lid
– 1 dry laundry detergent, 50-78 oz.
– 1 roll heavy-duty trash bags, 24 to 28 count (30-45 gallon) ( remove from box)
– 1 bottle liquid concentrated house-hold cleaner (like Lysol®), 12 oz.
– 1 bottle liquid antibacterial dish soap, (like Dawn®), 25 oz.
– Clothesline, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
– 50 clothes pins
– 1 scrub brush (remove packaging)
– 1 pair work gloves
– 2 pairs latex gloves (like Playtex®)
– 7 sponges, assorted sizes
– 5 scouring pads
– 18 cleaning towels, (reusable, like Easy Wipes® NO Cotton towels)
– 5 dust masks
– 1 bottle insect repellant (drops or lotion, not aerosol) 6-14 oz.
Please purchase all liquids in plastic bottles. Send only new, unopened materials. Make sure lids on bottles are tightly closed. Put all items in the plastic bucket, making sure they are packed securely to avoid damage during shipment. Seal lid with packing tape.
PERSONAL HYGIENE PACK – PACK VALUE $20.00
– 1 fluoride toothpaste, 6 oz. or more
– 1 washcloth
– 1 toothbrush in original, unopened pkg.
– 1 bath-size bar of soap
– 1 deodorant
– 1 bottle skin lotion (11-14 oz.)
– 1 hand towel
– 1 bottle shampoo (11-14 oz.)
– 2 disposable razors
– 1 comb or brush
Tighten lids and place all items in a large zip lock bag (2-gallon size works best). (2 or 2.5 gallon bags have been found at the following stores: full line grocery stores and Target.) Place zip locks in boxes labeled “Personal Hygiene Pack.” Please also mark the quantity on the outside of each box.